Developed by “America’s Veterinarian,” Dr. Marty Becker, the Fear FreeSM initiative aims to “take the ‘pet’ out of ‘petrified’” and get pets back for veterinary visits by promoting a thoughtful, considerate approach and gentle control techniques used in calming environments. Utilization of Fear Free methods and protocols leads to reduction or removal of anxiety triggers, which creates an experience that is rewarding and safer for all involved including pets, their owners, and veterinary health care teams.
We invite you to learn more at www.fearfreepets.com
Our animal hospital is proud to have a full team of Fear FreeSM Certified Professionals that strive to put your pet’s emotional and physical care first. We are the first veterinary hospital in the Springfield, MO area to have our entire staff certified in Fear FreeSM Veterinary Medicine. We’re proud to make every effort possible to promote the comfort and wellness of your pet.
Unless it’s medically inappropriate, we will give your pet lots of tasty treats during their appointment. This is so they can associate their trip to the vet with good things! With gentle handling techniques and calm voices, our staff will work with your animals in such a way to keep their stress and anxiety levels to a minimum. Our animal hospital has seen firsthand how these techniques can improve the well-being and sense of ease that your pet experiences.
We also use special calming chemical signals, known as pheromones, to help your pet feel calm and comfortable while at the vet. During your visit you’ll see plug-in diffusers in each exam room and our staff using towels, blankets, and bandannas sprayed with these specialized pheromones. Additionally, you’ll hear relaxing instrumental music in the exam rooms that has been selected for it’s calming effect on dogs and cats.
Your pet’s Fear Free experience starts at home!
Here’s what you can do to help:
- Help your cat become comfortable with its carrier, weeks before your appointment, by leaving the carrier out with your kitty’s favorite blanket inside and lots of treats as rewards when they walk in on their own.
- Make their ride to our animal clinic fear free by using calming music and making sure your pet is secure and safe in the vehicle.
- Use calming pheromones at home and in the car
- Bring your pet’s favorite treats, toys, and blankets with them when you come into the vet clinic.
- Let us know when you arrive if your pet is nervous/anxious around other animals and they can stay in the car until there is an exam room available for you.
- Be a part of your pet’s visit. Join us in rewarding your pet with tasty treats and comfort them before and after their exams to help them feel more comfortable and relaxed. We do require our technicians to hold your pet during their examination, but we’d love you to talk to them and feed them treats so that they have a constant reminder that you are there, and everything is okay.
If your pet remains nervous and anxious despite our efforts to make their visits Fear Free, our veterinarians can go over options with you for medication and sedation for your pet.
If you have any questions for our animal clinic regarding the Fear Free experience, just ask! We want to make sure you are comfortable and happy with the care your pet receives.
Our animal clinic couldn’t be happier to provide care and a Fear Free experience to wonderful pets from Springfield, MO, Battlefield, MO, Nixa, MO, Republic, MO and across the Missouri region. We want you to feel that our facility is a comforting home away from home, anytime you visit!